5 Reasons You Will Never Declutter Your Closet.

by gigi danielle on April 18, 2012

in Store My Stuff,Style Tips and Tricks

Post image for 5 Reasons You Will Never Declutter Your Closet.

The reality is that in order to declutter your closet (and your life for that matter), you have to throw things out. I know, this simple task is one of the hardest things to do. But holding on to things we do not use can only lead to one thing. A closet full of “junk”. I use the word junk loosely because these items may be expensive, in good condition and/or pieces you find attractive. None of this matters if the items just collect dust. So, why are we holding on?

1. It cost a lot of money.

{Charlotte Olympia laser-cut pumps}

Expensive shoes that hurt your feet are no different from cheap shoes that hurt your feet. Consider them a bad investment and figure out a way to lessen the blow. Try consigning or selling on ebay.

2. It was a gift.

{Dotty Cardigan}

That itchy, uncomfortable sweater that Grams got you for Christmas, yeah, it’s just taking up space. She doesn’t remember what she got you 3 years ago anyway.

3.Saving it for the right occasion.

{Naven Cutout Dress}

If you have tons of “going out” clothes, but you haven’t been out in months, I’m talking to you. We all need a few looks in our back pocket that will save the day in a crunch, but keep it to a minimum. A couple of pieces that you can mix and match will do. A whole section of your closet devoted to something you rarely participate in…not the move.

4. I will fit into the later.

{Arc Skinny Jeans}

“These jeans don’t fit now, but they will later.” If you can not fit something this season, it’s junk. Once you reach your goals, you probably won’t even be interested in those old duds.

5. It has sentimental value.

{Badgley Mischka Gown}

Have any bridesmaid or prom dresses in weird colors? They won’t see the light of day again. Purge ‘em.

Now if I were only as strict on myself as I can be with others, my closet would always look amazing. Sometimes it really helps to have a voice of reason on these things. It cuts down on all the excuses we make for keeping things. I suggest inviting some stylish friends over for wine and laughs and then sneaking in a purge session. I’m always down.

Contact gdanielle@fashionloveaffairs.com for all of your closet organizing needs.

Visit Fashion Love Affairs on Twitter | Bloglovin | Facebook | Tumblr

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

LNW April 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Did you sneak a peek into my closet before posting this or something?!? #1, #3, and #5 apply to me. *Hangs head in shame*

gigi danielle April 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM

These are so common. Happens to the best of us.

Kate April 21, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Hi love this post it is so true.. I am usually really good at decluttering my closet but a lot of things I own fall into the last category, I just love these pieces to much.. Any tips for emotionally detaching from my clothes?;)

xx Kate

gigi danielle April 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Great question Kate! I will definitely post an article on detaching. Thanks!

J. April 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

You have preached the gospel!

gigi danielle April 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Ha! Thanks.

sahra April 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM

ugh I SO need to do this! I normally just go with the “if I haven’t worn it in a year, it goes”….but I stillll have too much!

XO Sahra
EffortlessCool

gigi danielle April 26, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Right. It’s almost like we need to be paid to throw stuff out.

Miss Rockwell May 10, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I am totally guilty of this right now. In fact I’m forcing myself to purge some items in attempt to get ready for a big yard sale my family is having this weekend. It’s really tough but I have to do it-I find it easiest if I get rid of a few items each day.

Mold Inspection Pittsburgh December 17, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Decide to try a number of the possibilities for those who have too.
Indicators appear harmless but can be a sign of a serious problem to
your health. Determine if you want brakes to thhe tent trailer.

NFL picks December 25, 2013 at 5:16 AM

We simply start to bet with this crew draws until we win.
The crime got a game in working right back Cedric Benson who rushed for 1,251 meters.

Stacey Valnes December 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I’ve even heard a lawyer joke that you need to write no returns and/or
exchanges like some stores do on their signs. Keep this in mind when
you are viewing the property or house and making an opportunity.

Kitchen Cabinets Sarasota January 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Excellent items from you, man. I’ve keep in mind your stuff
previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I
really like what you’ve received here, really like what you’re saying and
the best way wherein you say it. You are making it enjoyable and
you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to learn much more
from you. This is really a tremendous website.

automotive consulting January 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Link exchange іs nothiոg elѕe but it is jսst placing tҺe otҺer person’s weblog link оn yoսr pɑge at appropriate plaϲe anɗ other person wіll alsߋ doo sɑme
for yoս.

upholstery cleaning sarasota fl January 25, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Doeѕ your blog have a contact page? I’m Һaving a tough tome locating it
but, I’d ike to sеnd you an email. Ӏ’ve got
some creative ideas for your blog you might bbe interested in hearing.

Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing
it grow over time.

Hair Salon In Bradenton FL January 25, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Woah! I’m really loving the template/theme of this
site. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s
tough to get that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance.
I must say you have done a superb job with this. Also, the blog loads super quick for me on Chrome.
Excellent Blog!